On 19/11/15 10:26 PM, Srikanth Vavilapalli wrote:

Hi Gord

On your second point, Yes, Ceilometer does provide a framework to capture a notification and republish to multiple “publish targets” in addition to the collector service using udp/kafka/notification as the transport mechanisms… We believe this is how “Event Alarm Evaluator” module in Aodh project get notified directly from Notification Agents.

However seems like the configuration of these additional “publish targets” is supported only through updating the pipeline_cfg_file and restarting the corresponding ceilometer services. i.e. the users need to manually update the pipeline config files to insert their “publish targets” in the sink-publisher configuration for a set of event filters of their interest. This type of provisioning is very static.

As per our understanding, ceilometer currently does not provide means for users to dynamically register/unregister their “publish targets” with ceilometer framework for a subset events of their interest? i.e User invokes a ceilometer API with a set of event filters and associated publish targets, that can be stored in a data store, which will eventually be used by the ceilometer Publisher to dispatch the notification to those configured destinations in addition to the statically configured “publish targets”. Plz let us know if our understanding is wrong or if there are any other means to achieve the above functionality. We believe this as a very key functionality needed to build latency sensitive (sub-second) analytics application on-top of ceilometer framework. We are seeking the feedback from community on having this kind of functionality inside ceilometer before proceeding with blueprint submission.

actually, in Liberty you can configure a reload[1][2] to refresh pipeline when a change happens. based on survey results, most operators don't need this functionality so it's off by default but it seems you do. :)

[1] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/liberty/reload-file-based-pipeline-configuration.html [2] https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/pipeline.py#L50-L58

cheers,

--
gord