On 23/11/15 03:45 +0000, Li, Xiaoyan wrote:
Hi all,
More help about volume encryption is needed.

About uploading encrypted volumes to image, there are three options:
1. Glance only keeps non-encrypted images. So when uploading encrypted volumes
to image, cinder de-crypts the data and upload.
2. Glance maintain encrypted images. Cinder just upload the encrypted data to
image.
3. Just prevent the function to upload encrypted volumes to images.

The subject and content of this email explicitly mentions uploads and
therefore I think #1 is probably the best option here. However, it is
also possible to create an image and make it point to a cinder
location. Then, you could have nova boot from that as if it was
booting from a cinder volume. That way, the image won't be sent to
Glance and it'll remain encrypted in its volume.

Hope I didn't digress from the requirements with that option, which is
still valid.

Flavio

Option 1 No changes needed in Glance. But it may be not safe. As we decrypt the
data, and upload it to images.
Option 2 This imports encryption to Glance which needs to manage the encryption
metadata.

Please add more if you have other suggestions. How do you think which one is
preferred.
Appreciate for your help.

Best wishes
Lisa