So just out of curiosity:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219700/14/cinder/config/generate_cinder_opts.py

Why does this not use https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/setup.cfg#L44 to find the exposed cinder configuration options (and drivers that cinder has/provides should expose a similar entrypoint and so-on)?

Also just brainstorming, but said 'generate_cinder_opts.py' should likely also have the output of `pip freeze` (sorted and canonicalized would be best to) because the generated opts that are found in other libraries (those libraries should/typically expose an entrypoint to list there own opts) depend on *exactly* what version of the package(s) is installed (yes I know this makes the application <-> library API for those libraries extremely weak/non-existent but this is how things have gone).

-Josh

Kendall J Nelson wrote:
Hello,

In brainstorming ideas for talks at the upcoming summit, I thought about
some of the things I had worked on for Cinder and what could still be
improved. One of the things I have been looking into is the generation
of sample configuration option files. Upon initial research it looks
like none of the main projects are doing it the same way. I thought it
might be interesting to get a panel together to talk about how it is
done for each project, why it is done that way for each project, and
maybe discuss a more universal approach that could be implemented in
oslo and used by all the projects. Please let me know if you have
knowledge on your project’s method and are interested in being part of a
panel.

If you are interested in looking at Cinder’s approach, here is the patch
I implemented to make the generation of the sample config file dynamic:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219700/

All the Best,

*Kendall J. Nelson*
Software Engineer &