Hi,

# cross-posting to -dev and -operators ML

In the current most OpenStack implementation,
when we use LOG.exception, we don't pass an exception message to LOG.exception:

  LOG.exception(_LE("Error while processing VIF ports"))

IIUC it is because the exception message will be logged at the end of
a corresponding stacktrace.

We will get a line like (Full log: http://paste.openstack.org/show/483018/):

  ERROR ... Error while processing VIF ports

[Problem]

Many logging tools are still line-oriented (though logstash or fluentd
can handle multiple lines).
An ERROR line only contains a summary message without the actual failure reason.
This makes difficult for line-oriented logging tools to classify error logs.

[Proposal]

My proposal is to pass an exception message to LOG.exception like:

  except <some exception> as exc:
     LOG.exception(_LE("Error while processing VIF ports: %s"), exc)

This alllows line-oriented logging tools to classify error logs more easily.

Thought?

Thanks,
Akihiro