Chris, Ihar,

I assumed that this was stylistic based on the fact that in the places where I
was seeing it, it seemed to be the case that the LHS was intuitively positive
(a length, for example). I did not exhaustively verify this but yes, you are
correct, the construct

        If var

is the same as  (I believe)

        if var is not None

and therefore the change does change the semantic of the code. Modulo my
assumption though, it would be strictly stylistic which is why I phrased it as
such.

Thanks for the quick responses, so far it sounds like the tally is:

Not-Worthwhile: 3
Changes semantics: 1
Others: 0

I created a quick poll to tally results