On 01/27/2016 03:31 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM, michael mccune <m...@redhat.com
<mailto:m...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    i am not convinced that we would ever need to have a standard on how
    these names are chosen for the header values, or if we would even
    need to have header names that could be deduced. for me, it would be
    much better for the projects use an identifier that makes sense to
    them, *and* for each project to have good api documentation.

I think we would be better served in selecting these things thinking
about the API consumers first.  We already have  enough for them to wade
through, the API-WG is making great gains in herding those particular
cats, I would hate to see giving back some of that here.

    so, instead of using examples where we have header names like
    "OpenStack-Some-[SERVICE_TYPE]-Header", maybe we should suggest
    "OpenStack-Some-[SERVICE_TYPE or PROJECT_NAME]-Header" as our guideline.

I think the listed reviews have it right, only referencing service
type.  We have attempted to reduce the visible surface area of project
names in a LOT of areas, I do not think this is one that needs to be an
exception to that.

+1, I prefer service type over project name. Among other benefits, it leaves room for multiple implementations without being totally baffling to consumers.

Projects will do what they are going to do, sometimes in spite of
guidelines.  This does not mean that the guidelines need to bend to
match that practice when it is at odds with larger concerns.

In this case, the use of service type as the primary identifier for
endpoints and API services is well established, and is how the service
catalog has and will always work.

dt