      From: Corey O'Brien <coreypobr...@gmail.com>
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
 Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:03 PM
 Subject: [openstack-dev] [Magnum] gate issues

So as we're all aware, the gate is a mess right now. I wanted to sum up some of
the issues so we can figure out solutions.
1. The functional-api job sometimes fails because bays timeout building after 1
hour. The logs look something like
this:magnum.tests.functional.api.v1.test_bay.BayTest.test_create_list_and_delete_bays
 [3733.626171s] ... FAILEDI can reproduce this hang on my devstack with etcdctl
2.0.10 as described in this bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum/+bug/1541105), but apparently either my fix
with using 2.2.5 (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/275994/) is incomplete or
there is another intermittent problem because it happened again even with that
fix:
(http://logs.openstack.org/94/275994/1/check/gate-functional-dsvm-magnum-api/32aacb1/console.html)
2. The k8s job has some sort of intermittent hang as well that causes a similar
symptom as with swarm. https://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum/+bug/1541964
3. When the functional-api job runs, it frequently destroys the VM causing the
jenkins slave agent to die. Example:
http://logs.openstack.org/03/275003/6/check/gate-functional-dsvm-magnum-api/a9a0eb9//console.htmlWhen
 this happens, zuul re-queues a new build from the start on a new VM. This can
happen many times in a row before the job completes.I chatted with
openstack-infra about this and after taking a look at one of the VMs, it looks
like memory over consumption leading to thrashing was a possible culprit. The
sshd daemon was also dead but the console showed things like "INFO: task
kswapd0:77 blocked for more than 120 seconds". A cursory glance and following
some of the jobs seems to indicate that this doesn't happen on RAX VMs which
have swap devices unlike the OVH VMs as well.
4. In general, even when things work, the gate is really slow. The sequential
master-then-node build process in combination with underpowered VMs makes bay
builds take 25-30 minutes when they do succeed. Since we're already close to
tipping over a VM, we run functional tests with concurrency=1, so 2 bay builds
means almost the entire allotted devstack testing time (generally 75 minutes of
actual test time available it seems).
Corey