On 02/07/2016 10:11 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We're working on getting per-region APT mirrors stood up for the
> nodepool nodes to use in the gate. As part of working on this, it struck
> me that we currently have restricted and multiverse enabled in our
> sources.list file.
>
> I ran a quick test of removing both of them on a devstack-gate change
> and nothing broke, so I believe that it would be safe to remove them,
> but I thought I'd check with everyone.
>
> Quick background for folks on them - Ubuntu has 4 different 'components'
> - main, universe, multiverse and restricted:
>
> Main - Officially supported software.
>
> Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a completely
> free license.
>
> Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially supported
> software.
>
> Multiverse - Software that is not free.
>
> Practically speaking there is nothing particularly useful to us in
> Restricted or Multiverse that would cause us to need to have the
> philosophical discussion about whether or not we _should_ use them -
> it's mostly software for desktop users.
>
> I mostly want to not mirror them because it's all desktop software and
> that's a waste of space for us. I also think it's not terribly
> appropriate for us to use non-free dependencies, and so far we have not.
>
> Any objection to not including these in our apt mirrors?
>
> Thanks,
> Monty

While it is a good idea to enhance the current Ubuntu image, at the same
time, I'd like to draw your attention that we need review for adding the
Debian image too:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/264726

Igor Belikov did an amazing job at it, let's please not get this stuck
because no core reviewers are helping.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)