Hi team,

This is a continued discussion from a review [1]. Corey O'Brien suggested to
have Magnum support a single OS distro (Atomic). I disagreed. I think we should
bring the discussion to here to get broader set of inputs.

Corey O'Brien
>From the midcycle, we decided we weren't going to continue to support 2
>different versions of the k8s template. Instead, we were going to maintain the
>Fedora Atomic version of k8s and remove the coreos templates from the tree. I
>don't think we should continue to develop features for coreos k8s if that is
>true.
In addition, I don't think we should break the coreos template by adding the
trust token as a heat parameter.

Hongbin Lu
I was on the midcycle and I don't remember any decision to remove CoreOS
support. Why you want to remove CoreOS templates from the tree. Please note
that this is a very big decision and please discuss it with the team
thoughtfully and make sure everyone agree.

Corey O'Brien
Removing the coreos templates was a part of the COE drivers decision. Since
each COE driver will only support 1 distro+version+coe we discussed which ones
to support in tree. The decision was that instead of trying to support every
distro and every version for every coe, the magnum tree would only have support
for 1 version of 1 distro for each of the 3 COEs (swarm/docker/mesos). Since we
already are going to support Atomic for swarm, removing coreos and keeping
Atomic for kubernetes was the favored choice.

Hongbin Lu
Strongly disagree. It is a huge risk to support a single distro. The selected
distro could die in the future. Who knows. Why make Magnum take this huge risk?
Again, the decision of supporting single distro is a very big decision. Please
bring it up to the team and have it discuss thoughtfully before making any
decision. Also, Magnum doesn't have to support every distro and every version
for every coe, but should support *more than one* popular distro for some COEs
(especially for the popular COEs).

Corey O'Brien
The discussion at the midcycle started from the idea of adding support for RHEL
and CentOS. We all discussed and decided that we wouldn't try to support
everything in tree. Magnum would provide support in-tree for 1 per COE and the
COE driver interface would allow others to add support for their preferred
distro out of tree.

Hongbin Lu
I agreed the part that "we wouldn't try to support everything in tree". That
doesn't imply the decision to support single distro. Again, support single
distro is a huge risk. Why make Magnum take this huge risk?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/277284/

Best regards,
Hongbin