Hi All,

Now that we have passed the feature freeze I thought it was worth giving a
quick update
on where we are with the live migration priority.

The following is a list of work items that have been merged in this cycle ( for
the live migration
sub-team's working page see
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-live-migration ). There
is also a number of merged and on-going bug fixes that are not listed here.

Progress reporting
Provide progress reporting information for on-going live migrations.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-progress-report

  *   https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/live-migration-progress-report

Force complete
Force an on-going live migration to complete by pausing the virtual machine for
the
duration of the migration.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pause-vm-during-live-migration

*
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/pause-vm-during-live-migration

Cancel
Cancel an on-going live migration.

*         https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/abort-live-migration

  *   https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/abort-live-migration

Block live migration with attached volumes
Enable live migration of VMs with a combination of local and shared storage.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/block-live-migrate-with-attached-volumes

*         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227278

Split networking
Send live migration traffic over a specified network.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/split-network-plane-for-live-migration

*
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/split-network-plane-for-live-migration

Make live migration api friendly
Remove -disk_over_commit flag and add -block_migration=auto (let nova determine
how to migrate the disks)

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/making-live-migration-api-friendly

  *
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/making-live-migration-api-friendly

Use request spec
Add scheduling to live migration and evacuate using original request spec
(includes all
original scheduling properties)

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/check-destination-on-migrations

*         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/277800/

*         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/273104/

Deprecate migration flags
Replace the combination of migration configuration flags with a single tunneled
flag.

*         (no blueprint)

*
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:deprecate-migration-flags-config

Objectify live migrate data
Use the migrate object instead of a dictionary in migration code.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/objectify-live-migrate-data

*
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/objectify-live-migrate-data

Next steps...

Now we have passed the feature freeze we will be turning attention to the
following
three tasks:

1.       Documenting the new features

2.       Adding expanding the CI coverage

3.       Fixing bugs

The CI job gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-live-migration was added to the
experimental
queue earlier In the cycle. We now need to add tests to this job to increase
coverage. If
you have any suggestions for CI improvements please contribute them on this
page:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-live-migration-CI-ideas

If you can contributed to live migration bug fixing you can look for things to
do here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=live-migration

For priority reviews see the live migration section here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-nova-priorities-tracking

The live migration sub-team has an IRC meeting on Tuesdays at 14:00 UTC on
#openstack-meeting-3:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/NovaLiveMigration

Best regards,
Paul