On 2016-03-09 13:57:45 +1300 (+1300), Robert Collins wrote:
> On 9 March 2016 at 13:07, Jeremy Stanley <fu...@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > On 2016-03-08 17:25:41 +1100 (+1100), Richard Jones wrote:
> > [...]
> >> SOLUTION 6 - make zuul capable of performing atomic cross-repository
> >> commits.
> >
> > This seems unlikely to happen, as it's very much counter to Zuul's
> > designed-in reliance on serializing changes to test before merging
> > them.
>
> I'd like to explore this more, but a mailing list thread probably
> isn't terribly efficient - I don't even know where to start to figure
> out any differing assumptions, whether whats being propose is
> conceptually desirable and-or how to represent that in zuul. But we've
> spent nearly three days of bug smash here in sydney trying to get some
> sort of design for going forward, and so far this is the only one that
> hasn't bad pretty big negative external side effects such as 'break
> every other user of xstatic when horizon updates'. :(.
>
> So -> IRC and/or/perhaps voice?

ML thread will probably work for some initial exploration, but with
James leading the Zuul v3 design and implementation he's in the best
position to say whether it's going to be sane to support having
changes in multiple repos which must test and merge together rather
than being able to merge one before the other. Previously we've seen
the idea of atomic merges coordinated across multiple repositories
to be a sign of poor software design, and as such have actively
discouraged the notion (it did come up briefly during the original
cross-repo dependencies design, and was pretty quickly rejected as
unsanitary).

Anyway, I'll give him a heads up on this since he likely doesn't
follow Horizon-specific discussions very closely.
--
Jeremy Stanley