On 03/18/2016 02:34 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 03/14/2016 03:28 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
Ian,

+1 to get rid of that dependency if possible.

+1 for any action aiming toward removing *any* dependency.

We don't have enough of such actions, and we have a way too many
dependencies, with many duplicate functionalities too. Just to name a
few:
- pecan vs falcon
- oslo.concurrency vs lockfile
- nose vs testr vs pytest
- pymemcache vs memcached
- you-name-it...

And this isn't even motivated by the fact I maintain lots of packages, I
don't maintain httplib2 for example, so I'm not impacted much,
especially by this kind of package that don't upgrade often.

Converging dependencies is a bit of a thankless debt reduction job: you
have to push changes in a lot of projects, and those are rarely seen as
a priority. It's a bit like pushing for Python 3 compatibility... you
need to find someone caring enough about it to persist in pushing those
changes, otherwise it just doesn't happen.

We could have a squad of "convergers" that would define a very small
list of targets every cycle and push that through.

+1 for the above. Have a few people that would come and help here on these kinds of tasks and overtime hopefully the list of targets shrinks (although likely never to zero).

-Josh