On 03/19/2016 11:33 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
Howday all,

Just to start some conversation for the next cycle,

I wanted to start thinking about what folks may like to see in oslo (or yes, even what u dislike in any of the oslo libraries).

For those who don't know, oslo[1] is a lot of libraries (27+) so one of my complaints (and one I will try to help make better) is that most people probably don't know what the different 'offerings' of these libraries are or how to use them (docs, tutorials, docs, and more docs).

I'll pick another pet-peeve of mine as a second one to get people thinking.

2) The lack of oslo.messaging having a good security scheme (even something basic as a hmac or signature that can be verified, this scares the heck out of me what is possible over RPC) turned on by default so I'd like to start figuring out how to get *something* (basic == HMAC signature, or maybe advanced == barbican or ???)

Red Herring. We don't need HMAC. We need to make better use of the tools in Rabbit.

1. Split the vhosts between notifications and control plan. The code is in place to do this already, but we need to update the configuration tools to make use of that.

2. Drop the default login and password. All services, and all compute nodes should get their own Rabbit user and an autogenerated password. Even better would be to use Client Certificate validaltion, but that requires a CA.

3. We desperately need a CA story.

4. ACLs set up aroun the reply queus. If I send a message to openstack-compute-15, only that compute should be able to rite to the resposne queue. This could be done with a naming scheme and regex in the ACL.

HMAC is crypto, and is going to put a load on the CPUs. While this is acceptable in the generation of messages from the Compute nodes (distributed load) validation and generation of HMAC on the controller nodes is just an additional requirement.

What I would like to see, before we engineer anything else, is a map of the components that talk via the Broker, the topics and queues they should have access to, and the paths of messages between them.

I started with a blog post here:

http://adam.younglogic.com/2016/03/what-can-talk-to-what-on-the-openstack-message-broker/

and did a brief spike here:

http://adam.younglogic.com/2016/03/tie-your-rabbit-down/

We made the mistake of pursuing HMAC back several releases ago. It lead to Kite. We don't need that yet.

What other thoughts do people have?

Good, bad, crazy (just keep it PG-13) thoughts are ok ;)

-Josh

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo