On 21/03/16 17:23, "Doug Hellmann" <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 20, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Tim Bell <tim.b...@cern.ch> wrote:
>>

>> Doug,
>>
>> Given that the EC2 functionality is currently in use by at least 1/6th of
>> production clouds
>> (https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/Public-User-Survey-Report.pdf page
>> 34), this is a worrying situation.
>
>I completely agree.
>

>> The EC2 functionality was recently deprecated from Nova on the grounds that
>> the EC2 API project was the correct way to proceed. With the proposal now to
>> not have an EC2 API project at all, this will leave many in the community
>> confused.
>
>That wasn't the proposal. We have lots of unofficial projects. My suggestion
>was that if the EC2 team wasn't participating in the community governance
>process, we should not list them as official. That doesn't mean disbanding the
>project, just updating our reference materials to reflect reality and clearly
>communicat expectations. It sounds like that was a misunderstanding which has
>been cleared up, though, so I think we're all set to continue considering it
>an official project.

There is actually quite a lot of activity going on to get the EC2 API to an
easy state to deploy. CERN has been involved in the puppet-ec2api and RDO
packaging which currently does not count as participation in the EC2 API
project given the split of repositories. However, it is critical for deployment
of a project that it can be installed and configured.

Tim