On 03/23/2016 01:33 AM, Vega Cai wrote:

On 22 March 2016 at 12:09, Shinobu Kinjo <shinobu...@gmail.com
<mailto:shinobu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Thank you for your comment (inline for my message).

<mailto:joehu...@huawei.com>> wrote:
    >> > Hello, Shinobu,
    >> >
    >> > Yes, as what you described here, the "initialize" in "core.py" is used
    >> > for unit/function test only. For system integration test( for example,
    >> > tempest ), it would be better to use mysql like DB, this is done by the
    >> > configuration in DB part.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your thought.
    >>

    >> > From my point of view, the tricircle DB part could be enhanced in the
DB
    >> > model and migration scripts. Currently unit test use DB model to
initialize
    >> > the data base, but not using the migration scripts,
    >>
    >> I'm assuming the migration scripts are in "tricircle/db". Is it right?
    >

    > migration scripts are in tricircle/db/migrate_repo
    >>

    >> What is the DB model?
    >> Why do we need 2-way-methods at the moment?
    >

    > DB models are defined in tricircle/db/models.py. Models.py defines tables
in
    > object level, so other modules can import models.py then operate the
tables
    > by operating the objects. Migration scripts defines tables in table level,
    > you define table fields, constraints in the scripts then migration tool
will
    > read the scripts and build the tables.

    Dose "models.py" manage database schema(e.g., create / delete columns,
    tables, etc)?

In "models.py" we only define database schema. SQLAlchemy provides
functionality to create tables based on schema definition, which is
"ModelBase.metadata.create_all". This is used to initialized the
in-memory database for tests currently.

FTR this is the best way to do this. SQLite's migration patterns are entirely different than for any other database, so while Alembic has a "batch" mode that can provide some level of code-compatibility (with many caveats, difficulties, and dead-end cases) between a SQLite migration and a migration for all the other databases, it is far preferable to not use any migration pattern at all for the SQLite database and just do a create_all(). It's also much faster, especially in the SQLite case where migrations require that the whole table is dropped and re-created for most changes.

    > Migration tool has a feature to
    > generate migration scripts from DB models automatically but it may make
    > mistakes sometimes, so currently we manually maintain the table structure
in
    > both DB model and migration scripts.

    Is *migration tool* different from bot DB models and migration scripts?

Migration tool is Alembic, a lightweight database migration tool for
usage of SQLAlchemy:

https://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

It runs migration scripts to update database schema. Each database
version has one migrate script. After defining "upgrade" and "downgrade"
method in the script, you can update your database from one version to
another version. Alembic isn't aware of DB models defined in
"models.py", users need to guarantee the version of database and the
version of "models.py" match.

If you create a new database, both "ModelBase.metadata.create_all" and
Alembic can be used. But Alembic can also be used to update an existing
database to a specific version of schema.