On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Duncan Thomas <duncan.tho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Because it leads to false assumptions, and code that breaks when something
> breaks those assumptions (e.g. somebody creates a volume with no name on
> horizon and breaks all the users of openstackclient that expects one
> because their client suggested it was mandatory

The only place in OSC I can find that _requires_ a name and not allow an ID
is the create commands, and as noted elsewhere, "" is a valid name in the
CLI.  In most cases we make no checks on the contents of name/ID fields and
rely on the REST API/server backend to handle problems there as required.

If you know of anything in OSC that does break due to empty name fields,
that is a bug and I'd love to know about it.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtro...@gmail.com