As a recent newcomer to using our client libraries, my only real objection
to this plan is that our client libraries as a mess [1][2]. The interfaces
we expect users to use are quite different for basic things like initial
auth between the various clients, and by introducing another library we
insist people use we're going to force a lot of devs to eventually go
through having to understand how those other people did that thing.

I guess I could ease my concerns here if we could agree to some sort of
standard for what auth in a client library looks like...

Some examples of auth at the moment:

self.glance = glance_client.Client('2', endpoint, token=token)
self.ironic = ironic_client.get_client(1, ironic_url=endpoint,
os_auth_token=token)
self.nova = nova_client.Client('2', bypass_url=endpoint, auth_token=token)

Note how we can't decide if the version number is a string or an int, and
the argument names for the endpoint and token are different in all three.
Its like we're _trying_ to make this hard.

Michael

1: I guess I might be doing it wrong, but in that case I'll just mutter
about the API docs instead.
2: I haven't looked at the unified openstack client library to see if its
less crazy.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 5:46 AM, Matt Riedemann <mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> As we discuss the glance v2 spec for nova, questions are coming up around
> what to do about the nova images API which is a proxy for glance v1.
>
> I don't want to add glance v2 support to the nova API since that's just
> more proxy gorp.
>
> I don't think we can just make the nova images API fail if we're using
> glance v2 in the backend, but we'll need some translation later for:
>
> user->nova-images->glance.v2->glance.v1(ish)->user
>
> But we definitely want people to stop using the nova images API.
>
> I think we can start by deprecating the nova images-* commands in
> python-novaclient, and probably the python API bindings in novaclient too.
>
> People should be using python-glanceclient or python-openstackclient for
> the CLI, and python-glanceclient or some SDK for the python API bindings.
>
> We recently removed the deprecated nova volume-* stuff from novaclient,
> this would be the same idea.
>
> Does anyone have an issue with this?
>
> --
>
> Thanks,