Flavio Percoco wrote:
On 11/04/16 18:05 +0000, Amrith Kumar wrote:
Adrian, thx for your detailed mail.

Yes, I was hopeful of a silver bullet and as we’ve discussed before (I
think it
was Vancouver), there’s likely no silver bullet in this area. After that
conversation, and some further experimentation, I found that even if
Trove had
access to a single Compute API, there were other significant
complications
further down the road, and I didn’t pursue the project further at the
time.

Adrian, Amrith,

I've spent enough time researching on this area during the last month
and my
conclusion is pretty much the above. There's no silver bullet in this
area and
I'd argue there shouldn't be one. Containers, bare metal and VMs differ
in such
a way (feature-wise) that it'd not be good, as far as deploying
databases goes,
for there to be one compute API. Containers allow for a different
deployment
architecture than VMs and so does bare metal.

Just some thoughts from me, but why focus on the compute/container/baremetal API at all?

I'd almost like a way that just describes how my app should be interconnected, what is required to get it going, and the features and/or scheduling requirements for different parts of those app.

To me it feels like this isn't a compute API or really a heat API but something else. Maybe it's closer to the docker compose API/template format or something like it.

Perhaps such a thing needs a new project. I'm not sure, but it does feel like that as developers we should be able to make such a thing that still exposes the more advanced functionality of the underlying API so that it can be used if really needed...

Maybe this is similar to an app-catalog, but that doesn't quite feel like it's the right thing either so maybe somewhere in between...

IMHO I'd be nice to have a unified story around what this thing is, so that we as a community can drive (as a single group) toward that, maybe this is where the product working group can help and we as a developer community can also try to unify behind...

P.S. name for project should be 'silver' related, ha.

-Josh