On Wed, Apr 13, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Dmitry Stepanenko wrote:
> Hi Team,
> I worked on nova quota statistics issue
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1284424) happenning when nova-*
> processes are restarted during removing instances and was able to
> reproduce it. For repro I used devstack and started nova-api and nova-
> compute in separate screen windows. For killing them I used ctrl+c. As
> I found this issue happened if nova-* processes are killed after
> instance was deleted but right before quota commit procedure finishes.
> We discussed these results with Markus Zoeller and decided that even
> though killing nova processes is a bit exotic event, this still
> should be fixed because quotas counting affects billing and very
> important for us.

+1. This is very important to get right. And while killing Nova
processes is exotic during normal operation it could happen for upgrades
and that should not cause quota issues.

> So, we need to introduce some mechanism that will prevent us from
> reaching inconsistent states in terms of quotas. In other words, this
> mechanism should work in such a way that both instance create/remove
> operation and quota usage recount operation happened or not happened
> together.

There's been some discussion around this, and there are other ML threads
somewhat discussing it in the context of moving quota enforcement into a
centralized service/library. There are a couple of approaches that could
be taken for tackling quotas, but a larger issue is that we have no good
way of knowing if some change helps the situation. What we need before
making any changes  is a functional test that reproduces the issue.

Once that is in place I would love to see the removal of the
quota_usages table and reservations and have quota be based on actual
usage represented in the instances table. But there are a lot of other
viewpoints and I think work in this area is going to have to start
making small incremental improvements.