-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Stanley <fu...@yuggoth.org>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Date: April 19, 2016 at 09:50:27
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input
needed on summit discussion about global requirements

> On 2016-04-19 14:59:19 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 04/19/2016 01:01 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
> > > On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > I predict that that is not going to last.
> >
> > That's what everyone says, but I'm convinced the majority will be
> > proven wrong! :)
> [...]
>
> Could just be that my beard has gotten a little too grey, but I
> still very much prefer using stabilized software packaged by
> traditional Linux distributions or similar Unix derivatives and
> covered under security patched backports. My hope has always been
> that as the rapid pace of development at the center of OpenStack
> starts to cool (and as the press moves on and OpenStack becomes a
> lot more boring to talk about), we'll approach the sort of ecosystem
> stabilization needed to make that less awkward downstream.

Perhaps my beard is not grey enough, but as a developer and maintainer of
several of OpenStack's dependencies (some of which have needed security
backports) I've argued with different downstream distributors about their own
judgment of what portions of the patch to apply in order to fix an issue with
an assigned CVE. It took much longer than should have been necessary in at
least one of those cases where it did affect OpenStack, so perhaps I am too
confident in my ability to use tooling outside of distribution provided
packages but to date I've had better luck using the source with the *complete*
fixes.

--
Ian Cordasco