On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Vikram Choudhary <viks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, there is proposal about adding a 'priority' option in the existing
> flow classifier rule. This can ensure the rule ordering.

It's more complicated than that, there you're only considering Flow
Classifiers, while we need to make the full pipeline of features
(externally pluggable) work together.

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM, IWAMOTO Toshihiro <iwam...@valinux.co.jp>
> wrote:
>>
>> At Wed, 20 Apr 2016 14:12:07 +0200,
>> Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
>> >
>> > I think this is an interesting topic.
>> >
>> > What do you mean exactly by FC ? (feature chaining?)
>> >
>> > I believe we have three things to look at:  (sorry for the TL)
>> >
>> > 1) The generalization of traffic filters / traffic classifiers. Having
>> > common models, some sort of common API or common API structure
>> > available, and translators to convert those filters to iptables,
>> > openflow filters, etc..
>> >
>> > 2) The enhancement of extensiblity of agents via Extension API.
>> >
>> > 3) How we chain features in OpenFlow, which current approach of just
>> > inserting rules, renders into incompatible extensions. This becomes
>> > specially relevant for the new openvswitch firewall.
>> >
>> > 2 and 3 are interlinked, and a good mechanism to enhance (3) should be
>> > provided in (2).
>> >
>> > We need to resolve:
>> >
>> >     a) The order of tables, and how openflow actions chain the
>> > different features in the pipeline.  Some naive thinking brings me
>> > into the idea that we need to identify different input/output stages
>> > of packet processing, and every feature/extension declares the point
>> > where it needs to be. And then when we have all features, every
>> > feature get's it's own table number, and the "next" action in
>> > pipeline.
>>
>> Can we create an API that allocates flow insertion points and table
>> numbers?  How can we ensure correct ordering of flows?

I believe that just an API to allocate flow insertion points and table
numbers wouldn't work, because, you need to get the "next" hop in the
table, and the next hop would not be still resolved when you ask for
it (may be yes, if we return a mutable object).

The idea, is than when all features are declared and inspected, we
have the next hops, and table numbers for all features.

Also another API for requesting openflow registers would be necessary,
as extensions consume registers for different purposes.

>> IMHO, it might be a time to collect low-level flow operation functions
>> into a single repository and test interoperability there.

That's may be something we must consider, I don't completely disagree,
but if we can find a way to solve the issue dynamically, that would
lead to quicker evolution, and easy interoperability with
out-of-our-trees solutions, and cross version compatibility.