From: Steve Gordon [sgor...@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:39 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [magnum][app-catalog][all] Build unified
abstraction for all COEs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hongbin Lu"<hongbin...@huawei.com>
questions)"<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Bray [mailto:keith.b...@rackspace.com]
Sent: April-20-16 6:13 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
abstraction for all COEs

Magnum doesn¹t have to preclude tight integration for single COEs you
speak of.  The heavy lifting of tight integration of the COE in to
OpenStack (so that it performs optimally with the infra) can be modular
(where the work is performed by plug-in models to Magnum, not performed
by Magnum itself. The tight integration can be done by leveraging
existing technologies (Heat and/or choose your DevOps tool of choice:
Chef/Ansible/etc). This allows interested community members to focus on
tight integration of whatever COE they want, focusing specifically on
I agree that tight integration can be achieved by a plugin, but I think the
key question is who will do the work. If tight integration needs to be done,
I wonder why it is not part of the Magnum efforts.

Why does the integration belong in Magnum though? To me it belongs in the COEs themselves
(e.g. their in-tree network/storage plugins) such that someone can leverage them
regardless of their choices regarding COE deployment tooling (and yes that means Magnum
should be able to leverage them too)? I guess the issue is that in the above conversation
we are overloading the term "integration" which can be taken to mean different
things...

-Steve

 From my point of view,
pushing the work out doesn't seem to address the original pain, which is
some users don't want to explore the complexities of individual COEs.