On 05/02/2016 07:47 PM, Brent Eagles wrote:

On 05/01/2016 08:01 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:

<snip/>

If a feature can't land without disruption, then why not using a
special branch to be merged once the feature is complete ?

The problem is that during our work, some people will update the
manifests, and it will affect us, since we're copy/pasting the
code somewhere else (in puppet-tripleo), that's why we might need
some outstanding help from the team, to converge to the new model.
I know asking that is tough, but if we want to converge quickly,
we need to make the adoption accepted by everyone. One thing we can
do, is asking our reviewer team to track the patches that will need
some work, and the composable team can help in the review process.

The composable roles is a feature that we all wait, having the
help from our contributors will really save us time.

s/wait/want/ I expect.

Well said. I understand the reservations on the -1 for non-composable
role patches. It *does* feel a bit strong, but in the end I think it's
just being honest. The likelihood that a patch on tht is going to land
"as is" prior to the merge of the related composable role changes
seems really unlikely. I for one, am willing to do what I can to help
anyone who has had their patch pre-empted during this period get their
patch refactored/ported once the comp-roles thing has settled down.

There is a precedent for this: back when we were using merge.py to generate the TripleO Heat templates, the patch that moved us to pure Heat was taking a long time to merge due to all the other t-h-t patches coming in and causing conflicts.

So we decided to -2 all the other t-h-t patches until this one got merged.

On the other hand, that lasted for a few days. I'm not sure how long until we get the composable roles landed.

Tomas

Cheers,

Brent