On 05/10/2016 03:51 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
For the libvirt imagebackend refactor that mdbooth is working on, I have a POC
devstack-gate change which runs with the lvm imagebackend in the libvirt driver
[1].

The test results are mostly happy except for anything related to migrate
(including resize to same host) [2][3].

That's because we're not testing with boot from volume [4].

This is a weird capability wrinkle that is not clear from the API, you'll only
find out that you can't migrate/resize on this host that's using lvm when it
fails. We can't even disable this in tempest really since there isn't a flag for
'only-supports-resize-for-volume-backed-instances'. So this job would just have
to disable any tests that have anything to do with resize/migrate, which kind of
sucks since that's what we wanted to test going into the libvirt imagebackend
refactor.

For what it's worth, we've got internal patches to enable cold migration and resize for LVM-backed instances. We've also got a proof of concept to enable thin-provisioned LVM to get rid of the huge wipe-volume-on-deletion cost.

Pretty sure we'd be happy to contribute these if there is interest. Last time I brought up some of these there didn't seem to be much.

Chris