On Tue, May 17, 2016, at 02:36 PM, Matt Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Andrew Laski
> <and...@lascii.com> wrote:
>> I was in a discussion earlier about discouraging deployers from using
>>  deprecated options and the question came up about why we put
>>  deprecated
>>  options into the sample files generated in the various projects.
>>  So, why
>>  do we do that?
>>
>>  I view the sample file as a reference to be used when setting up a
>>  service for the first time, or when looking to configure
>>  something for
>>  the first time. In neither of those cases do I see a benefit to
>>  advertising options that are marked deprecated.
>>
>>  Is there some other case I'm not considering here? And how does
>>  everyone
>>  feel about modifying the sample file generation to exclude
>>  options which
>>  are marked with "deprecated_for_removal"?
>>

> Can you clarify what you mean by having them? The way they are now is
> great for deployers I think and people (like me) who work on things
> like puppet and need to update options sometimes. For example, I like
> this way, example from keystone:
>
> # Deprecated group/name - [DEFAULT]/log_config
> #log_config_append = <None>
>
> Are you proposing removing that top line?

That is a different type of deprecation which I didn't do a great job of
distinguishing.

There is deprecation of where a config option is defined, as in your
example. I am not proposing to touch that at all. That simply indicates
that a config option used to be in a different group or used to be named
something else. That's very useful.

There is deprecation of a config option in the sense that it is going
away completely. An example would be:

# DEPRECATED: OpenStack metadata service manager (string value)
# This option is deprecated for removal.
# Its value may be silently ignored in the future.
#metadata_manager = nova.api.manager.MetadataManager

I'm wondering if anyone sees a benefit to including that in the sample
file when it is clearly not meant for use.