Doug Hellmann wrote:
Excerpts from Renat Akhmerov's message of 2016-05-17 19:10:55 +0700:
Team,

Our stable/mitaka branch is now broken by oslo.messaging 5.0.0. Global
requirements for stable/mitaka has oslo.messaging>=4.0.0 so it can fetch 5.0.0.

Just reminding that it breaks us because we intentionally modified
RPCDispatcher like in [1]. It was needed for “at-least-once” delivery. In
master we already agreed to remove that hack and work towards having a decent
solution (there are options). The patch is [2]. But we need to handle it in
mitaka somehow.

Options I see:
Constrain oslo.messaging in global-requirements.txt for stable/mitaka with
4.6.1. Hard to do since it requires wide cross-project coordination.
Remove that hack in stable/mitaka as we did with master. It may be bad because
this was wanted very much by some of the users

Not sure what else we can do.

You could set up your test jobs to use the upper-constraints.txt file in
the requirements repo.

What was the outcome of the discussion about adding the at-least-once
semantics to oslo.messaging?

So there are a few options I am seeing so far (there might be more that I don't see also), others can hopefully correct me if they are wrong (which they might be) ;)

Option #1

Oslo.messaging (and the dispatcher part that does this) stays as is, doing at-most-once for RPC (notifications are in a different category here so let's not discuss them) and doing at-most-once well and battle-hardened (it's current goal) across the various backend drivers it supports.

At that point at-least-once will have to done via some other library where this kind of semantics can be placed, that might be tooz via https://review.openstack.org/#/c/260246/ (which has similar semantics, but is not based on a kind of RPC, instead it's more like a job-queue).

Option #2

Oslo.messaging (and the dispatcher part that does this) changes (possibly allowing it to be replaced with a different type of dispatcher, ie like in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314732/); the default class continues being great at for RPC (notifications are in a different category here so let's not discuss them) and doing at-most-once well and battle-hardened (it's current goal) across the various backend drivers it supports. If people want to provide an alternate class with different semantics they are somewhat on there own (but at least they can do this).

Issues raised: this though may not be wanted, as some of the oslo.messaging folks do not want the dispatcher class to be exposed at all (and would prefer to make it totally private, so exposing it would be against that goal); though people are already 'hacking' this kind of functionality in, so it might be the best we can get at the current time?

Option #3

Do nothing.

Issues raised: everytime oslo.messaging changes this *mostly* internal dispatcher API a project will have to make a new 'hack' to replace it and hope that the semantics that it has 'hacked' in will continue to be compatible with the various drivers in oslo.messaging. Not IMHO a sustainable way to keep on working (and I'd be wary of doing this in a project if I was the owner of one, because it's ummm, 'dirty').

My thoughts on what could work:

What I'd personally like to see is a mix of option #1 and #2, where we have commitment from folks (besides myself, lol) to work on option #1 and we temporarily move forward with option #2 with a strict-statement that the functionality we would be enabling will only exist for say a single release (and then it will be removed).

Thoughts from others?

Doug

Thoughts?

[1]