Hi Zane,

Generally, I think it's a very good idea just like I said in the IRC channel. I will review the spec and thank you for proposing it.

On 19/05/16 06:49, Zane Bitter wrote:
I've been lobbying the Mistral developers for $SUBJECT since, basically, forever.[1][2][3] I like to think after a couple of years I succeeded in changing their view on it from "crazy" to merely "unrealistic".[4] In the last few months I've had a couple of realisations though:

1) The 'pull' model I've been suggesting is the wrong one, architecturally speaking. It's asking Mistral to do too much to poll Zaqar queues. 2) A 'push' model is the correct architecture and it already exists in the form of Zaqar's Notifications, which suddenly makes this goal look very realistic indeed.

I've posted a Zaqar spec for this here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/318202/

Not being super familiar with either project myself, I think this needs close scrutiny from Mistral developers as well as Zaqar developers to make sure I haven't got any of the details wrong. I'd also welcome any volunteers interested in implementing this :)

One more long-term thing that I did *not* mention in the spec: there are both Zaqar notifications and Mistral actions for sending email and hitting webhooks. These are two of the hardest things for a cloud operator to secure. It would be highly advantageous if there were only _one_ place in OpenStack where these were implemented. Either project would potentially work - Zaqar notifications could call a simple, operator defined workflow behind the scenes for email/webhook notifications; alternatively the Mistral email/webhook actions could drop a message on a Zaqar queue connected to a notification - although the former sounds easier to me. (And of course clouds with only one of the services available could fall back to the current plugins.) Something to think about for the future...

cheers,
Zane.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/062617.html [2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/063884.html
[3] Also in-person at every summit since at least Juno :)
[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/063904.html

Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flw...@catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington