On Sun, Jun 12 2016, Monty Taylor wrote:

> I will call hogwash on that. That we install files such as that which
> are actually code has been a deployer nightmare since day one, and the
> solution is not to make pip smarter, it's to stop installing such files.
>
> NOW - if it's quite literally a file that just exists better as a file
> and not direct python code - that's fine - just put it into the package
> itself and then load it either by relative paths from the package or via
> pkg_resources. For instance, one could put paste.conf into
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keystone/paste.ini instead of
> into etc.
>
> Which is my way of saying:
>
> - If it's a file that one expects the user to edit, having pip/setup.py
> install it is a bad idea
> - If it's a file that one does NOT expect the user to edit, put it into
> the package.

I agree with Monty here. The best design we could have is to have
software that work by default with 0 configuration file.
Unfortunately, this is not the case for any OpenStack server, and no
design path has been drawn to follow yet. I'd be glad to see some change
in this area.

We're almost at this point in Telemetry projects, we just have to
carry/ship policy.json (no way to override easily AFAIK) and Paste
config (no better way to tweak middleware config so far).
(and the oslo-config-generator configuration file, but that should be
embeddable easily).

We'll try to push further in that direction in the future. Let's hope
everyone will follow. :)

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker