On 7/15/2016 8:06 PM, Alex Xu wrote:

Actually I still think aggregates isn't good for Manage Caps, just as I
said in previous reply about Aggregates. One of reason is just same with
#2 you said :) And It's totally not managable. User is even no way to
query a specific host in which host-aggregate. And there isn't a
interface to query what metadata was related to the host by
host-aggregate. I prefer just keep the Aggregate as tool to group the
hosts. But yes, user still can use host-aggregate to manage host with
old way, let's user decide what is more convenient.

+1 to Alex's point. I just read through this thread and had the same thought. If the point is to reduce complexity in the system and surface capabilities to the end user, let's do that with resource provider tags, not a mix of host aggregate metadata and resource provider tags so that an operator has to set both, but also know in what situations he/she has to set it and where.

I'm hoping Jay or someone channeling Jay can hold my hand and walk me safely through the evil forest that is image properties / flavor extra specs / scheduler hints / host aggregates / resource providers / and the plethora of scheduler filters that use them to build a concrete picture/story tying this all together. I'm thinking like use cases, what does the operator need to do, what does the end user of the cloud need to do, etc. I think if we're going to do resource providers tags for capabilities we also need to think about what we're replacing. Maybe that's just host aggregate metadata, but what's the deprecation plan for that?

There is a ton to talk about here, so I'll leave that for the midcycle. But let's think about what, if anything, needs to land in Newton to enable us working on this in Ocata - but our priority for the midcycle is really going to be focused on what things we need to get done yet in Newton based on what we said we'd do in Austin.

Also, a final nit - can we please be specific about roles in this thread and any specs? I see 'user' thrown around a lot, but there are different kinds of users. Only admins can see host aggregates and their metadata. And when we're talking about how these tags will be used, let's be clear about who the actors are - admins or cloud users. It helps avoid some confusion.

Matt Riedemann