From: Doug Hellmann [mailto:d...@doughellmann.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:46 AM
To: openstack-dev
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Next steps for proxy API deprecation

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-07-26 12:14:03 -0500:
> On 7/26/2016 11:59 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > Now that the 2.36 microversion change has merged [1], we can work on the
> > python-novaclient changes for this microversion.
> >
> > At the midcycle we agreed [2] to also return a 404 for network APIs,
> > including nova-network (which isn't a proxy), for consistency and
> > further signaling that nova-network is going away.
> >
> > In the client, we agreed to soften the impact for network CLIs by
> > determining if the latest microversion supported will fail (so will we
> > send >=2.36) and rather than fail, send 2.35 instead (if the user didn't
> > specifically specify a different version). However, we'd emit a warning
> > saying this is deprecated and will go away in the first major client
> > release (in Ocata? after nova-network is removed? after Ocata is
> > released?).
> >
> > We should probably just deprecate any CLIs/APIs in python-novaclient
> > today that are part of this server side API change, including network
> > CLIs/APIs in novaclient. The baremetal and image proxies in the client
> > are already deprecated, and the volume proxies were already removed.
> > That leaves the network proxies in the client.
> >
> > From my notes, Dan Smith was going to work on the novaclient changes for
> > 2.36 to not fail and use 2.35 - unless anyone else wants to volunteer to
> > do that work (please speak up).
> >
> > We can probably do the network CLI/API deprecations in the client in
> > parallel to the 2.36 support, but need someone to step up for that. I'll
> > try to get it started this week if no one else does.
> >
> > [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337005/
> > [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-newton-midcycle
> >

> I forgot to mention Tempest. We're going to have to probably put a
> max_microversion cap in several tests in Tempest to cap at 2.35 (or
> change those to use Neutron?). There are also going to be some response
> schema changes like for quota usage/limits, I'm not sure if anyone is
> looking at this yet. We could also get it done after feature freeze on
> 9/2, but I still need to land the get-me-a-network API change which is
> microversion 2.37 and has it's own Tempest test, although that test
> relies on Neutron so I might be OK for the most part.

If these tests are being used by DefCore, it would be better to cap
the existing behavior and add new tests to use neutron instead of
changing the existing tests. That will make it easier for DefCore
to handle the transition from the old to new behavior by replacing
the old tests in their list with the new ones.

Doug