From: Tim Bell [tim.b...@cern.ch]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:55 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Glance][TC][Heat][App-Catalog][Murano][Tacker]
Glare as a new Project

On 04 Aug 2016, at 17:27, Mikhail Fedosin
<mfedo...@mirantis.com<mailto:mfedo...@mirantis.com>> wrote:

Hi all,
after 6 months of Glare v1 API development we have decided to continue our work
in a separate project in the "openstack" namespace with its own core team (me,
Kairat Kushaev, Darja Shkhray and the original creator - Alexander Tivelkov).
We want to thank Glance community for their support during the incubation
period, valuable advice and suggestions - this time was really productive for
us. I believe that this step will allow the Glare project to concentrate on
feature development and move forward faster. Having the independent service
also removes inconsistencies in understanding what Glance project is: it seems
that a single project cannot own two different APIs with partially overlapping
functionality. So with the separation of Glare into a new project, Glance may
continue its work on the OpenStack Images API, while Glare will become the
reference implementation of the new OpenStack Artifacts API.

I would suggest looking at more than just the development process when
reflecting on this choice.
While it may allow more rapid development, doing on your own will increase
costs for end users and operators in areas like packaging, configuration,
monitoring, quota … gaining critical mass in production for Glare will be much
more difficult if you are not building on the Glance install base.
Tim
Nevertheless, Glare team would like to continue to collaborate with the Glance
team in a new - cross-project - format. We still have lots in common, both in
code and usage scenarios, so we are looking forward for fruitful work with the
rest of the Glance team. Those of you guys who are interested in Glare and the
future of Artifacts API are also welcome to join the Glare team: we have a lot
of really exciting tasks and will always welcome new members.
Meanwhile, despite the fact that my focus will be on the new project, I will
continue to be part of the Glance team and for sure I'm going to contribute in
Glance, because I am interested in this project and want to help it be
successful.

We'll have the formal patches pushed to project-config earlier next week,
appropriate repositories, wiki and launchpad space will be created soon as
well.  Our regular weekly IRC meeting remains intact: it is 17:30 UTC Mondays
in #openstack-meeting-alt, it will just become a Glare project meeting instead
of a Glare sub-team meeting. Please feel free to join!

Best regards,
Mikhail Fedosin

P.S. For those of you who may be curious on the project name. We'll still be
called "Glare", but since we are on our own now this acronym becomes recursive:
GLARE now stands for "GLare Artifact REpository" :)