> TL;DR: If you don’t want a mascot, you don’t have to. But Nova, you’ll be
> missed. :-)

It also seems from http://www.openstack.org/project-mascots that the majority
of OpenStack projects have selected a mascot.  I think it would be a great
shame if the Nova project didn’t have an easily recognisable image within this
branding effort while the majority of projects we interact with do have them.
I think there are a number of cases where the lack of a mascot for such a
prominent project would be very noticeable, particularly when the other “big”
projects have one.

Unfortunately, the Vauxhall Nova and Marvel’s Nova are not permitted in the
rules, so rather than the default being “no logo”  I’d personally just go with
a supernova[1][2] as it wouldn’t need explanations or deep discussions as to
whether a field mouse is a better choice than an African sand dog…

Bob

[1] http://www.supernovae.net/images/illustration.jpg
[2]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Artist's_impression_of_supernova_1993J.jpg