From: Yujun Zhang
Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2016 at 14:48

1. How do I register a new datasource in an existing system?
[yujunz] It seems to be in
https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/vitrage/datasources/__init__.py
Not exactly. This file defines the default datasources to be used. You can
overwrite this list in /etc/vitrage/vitrage.conf. For example:

[datasources]
types =
nova.host,nova.instance,nova.zone,cinder.volume,neutron.network,neutron.port

2. Is the type of datasource (ALARM/RESOURCE) configured in
`/etc/vitrage/datasource_values/<datasource>.yaml` ?

[Ifat]: No, it is configured in the datasource code. For information about
datasource_values please see [3]
[yujunz] which code file? I found `category: RESOURCE` in the datasource
configuration file as
https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/doc/source/resource-state-config.rst#format
EntityCategory is defined in
https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/vitrage/common/constants.py
It is used in the transformer files of each datasource.

5. What is the required data format for the datasource driver api? The inline
comments give some brief description but didn't specify the api signature.
Many thanks.
[Ifat]: This should be part of the datasource documentation that we need to
add. But basically, the driver should return a dictionary with few predefined
fields (like datasource type, timestamp), and add whatever data is needed for
the datasource. Then, the datasource transformer will transform this data into
a vertex and decide where to connect it to the graph.
[yujunz] So if I understand it correctly, driver and transformer works as a
pair and the intermediate data format is not exposed to vitrage. It consumes
data from the sources and convert them into graph
Right.