On 8/12/2016 8:52 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
On 8/12/2016 8:24 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 05:55:47AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
A devstack patch was pushed earlier this cycle around os-brick -
https://review.openstack.org/341744

Apparently there are some os-brick operations that are only safe if the
nova and cinder lock paths are set to be the same thing. Though that
hasn't yet hit release notes or other documentation yet that I can see.

Patrick East submitted a patch to add a release note on the Cinder side
last night: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354501/

Is this a thing that everyone is aware of at this point? Are project
teams ok with this new requirement? Given that lock_path has no default,
this means we're potentially shipping corruption by default to users.
The other way forward would be to revisit that lock_path by default
concern, and have a global default. Or have some way that users are
warned if we think they aren't in a compliant state.

This is a very good point that we are shipping corruption by default. I
would actually be in favor of having a global default. Other than
requiring tooz for default global locking (with a lot of extra overhead
for small deployments), I don't see a better way of making sure the
defaults are safe for those not aware of the issue.

And IMO, having the release note is just a CYA step. We can hope someone
reads it - and understands it's implications - but it likely will be
missed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Sean

I've put the devstack patch on a -2 hold until we get ACK from both Nova
and Cinder teams that everyone's cool with this.

    -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net

I saw the nova one last night:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354502/

But I don't know the details, like what are the actual specific things
that fail w/o this? Vague "trust me, you need to do this or else"
release notes that impact how people deploy is not fun, so I'd like more
details before we just put this out there.

This is also probably something that should be advertised on the openstack-operators ML. I would at least feel more comfortable if this is a known thing that operators have already been dealing with and we just didn't realize.

Matt Riedemann