On 08/24/2016 04:26 AM, Peter Willis wrote:
Colleagues,

I'd like to confirm that scalability and multi-site operations are key
to BT's NFV use cases e.g. vCPE, vCDN, vEPC, vIMS, MEC, IoT, where we
will have compute highly distributed around the network (from thousands
to millions of sites). BT would therefore support a Massively
Distributed WG and/or work on scalability and multi-site operations in
the Architecture WG.

Love all the TLAs.

I've asked this before to numerous Telco product managers and engineers, but I've yet to get a solid answer from any of them, so I'll repeat the question here...

How is vCPE a *cloud* use case?

From what I understand, the v[E]CPE use case is essentially that Telcos want to have the set-top boxen/routers that are running cable television apps (i.e. AT&T U-verse or Verizon FiOS-like things for US-based customers) and home networking systems (broadband connectivity to a local central office or point of presence, etc) be able run on virtual machines to make deployment and management of new applications easier. Since all those home routers and set-top boxen are essentially just Linux boxes, the infrastructure seems to be there to make this a cost-savings reality for Telcos. [1]

The problem is that that isn't remotely a cloud use case. Or at least, it doesn't describe what I think of as cloud.

Cloud to me means:

* Lots of hardware consolidated in datacenters for efficiency and security/management * Software-as-a-Service interface, meaning the service is driven by users/tenants (i.e. no IT helpdesk to call to provision something) and provided over the Internet to a dumb device or browser * (HTTP) API-driven access to launch compute, storage and network resources from large pools of those resources

Furthermore, applications written for the cloud (i.e. cloud-native apps) are built from the ground up to assume and tolerate failure, to be as close to shared-nothing as possible, to not need to be aware of where they are running or what particular server they are running on and to rely on well-defined APIs between (micro-)services.

v[E]CPE describes a purpose-built Telco application that doesn't meet any of the above definitions of what "cloud" is all about.

vCPE also doesn't look like a cloud-native application either: A single customer's vCPE software application is not capable of running on more than one machine at a time (since obviously it's running on the customer's set-top box or router).

Look, I'm all about designing Nova and other cloud services to function well in distributed environments where multiple datacenters are running a single OpenStack deployment spread over many regions.

But v[E]CPE just isn't cloud to me. And trying to morph Nova or other OpenStack services that were designed to run as services in a datacenter just isn't something I feel the OpenStack community needs to be focusing on. Run Nova (or Kubernetes, or Mesos, or any other cloud management platform) in the datacenter. Run a custom software application on the set-top boxes that can communicate with datacenter cloud services. Let's please not commandeer one of them to fit a model it was never built for.

My two cents,
-jay

[1] I say cost-savings because instead of shipping the customer a new piece of hardware when they purchase a new service (or sending a lineman), instead the telco now simply sends a command to the customer's router or set-top box to launch a VM that provides that service. One could say that the Telcos could just as easily ship a monolithic software application that would run on the set-top box and allow features to be toggled on and off, and I'm pretty sure many telco software applications are already like this, but deploying and managing monolithic applications is more complicated and expensive than shipping a VM image that contains a custom-built service that the customer can use at will.

p.s. I also don't think it's a good idea to run nova-compute on a fitbit watch.