> So that is fine.  However, correct me if I'm wrong but you're
> proposing just that these projects migrate to also use a new service
> layer with oslo.versionedobjects, because IIUC Nova/Neutron's
> approach is dependent on that area of indirection being present.
> Otherwise, if you meant something like, "use an approach that's kind
> of like what Nova does w/ versionedobjects but without actually
> having to use versionedobjects", that still sounds like, "come up
> with a new idea".

If you don't need the RPC bits, versionedobjects is nothing more than an
object facade for you to insulate your upper layers from such change.
Writing your facade using versionedobjects just means inheriting from a
superclass that does a bunch of stuff you don't need. So I would not say
that taking the same general approach without that inheritance is "come
up with a new idea".

Using triggers and magic to solve this instead of an application-level
facade is a substantially different approach to the problem.

> I suppose if you're thinking more at the macro level, where "current
>  approach" means "do whatever you have to on the app side", then your
>  position is consistent, but I think there's still a lot of
> confusion in that area when the indirection of a versioned service
> layer is not present. It gets into the SQL nastiness I was discussing
> w/ Clint and I don't see anyone doing anything like that yet.

The indirection service is really unrelated to this discussion, IMHO. If
you take RPC out of the picture, all you have left is a
direct-to-the-database facade to handle the fact that schema has
expanded underneath you. As Clint (et al) have said -- designing the
application to expect schema expansion (and avoiding unnecessary
contraction) is the key here.

--Dan