Sean K <sean.k.moo...@intel.com> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy Zhang [mailto:cathy.h.zh...@huawei.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:03 PM
To: Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrac...@redhat.com>; Armando M.
<arma...@gmail.com>; Cathy Zhang <cathy.h.zh...@huawei.com>
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][networking-sfc] need help on
requesting release for networking-sfc

Thanks for all your response.

We would like to have the stable branch pulled from a git commit.
Shall we use the git hash of that commit for the intended git hash in
the release request?

I am confused about the following statement in the release guide.
"You need to be careful when picking a git commit to base new releases
on. In most cases, you’ll want to tag the merge commit that merges your
last commit in to the branch. This bug shows an instance where this
mistake was caught. Notice the difference between the incorrect commit
and the correct one which is the merge commit. git log 6191994..22dd683
--oneline shows that the first one misses a handful of important
commits that the second one catches. This is the nature of merging to
master."

What is meant by " tag the merge commit"? How do we tag a git commit on
our master branch?
[Mooney, Sean K] cathy if networking-sfc is setup the way I setup networking-ovs-dpdk e.g. following the old infra new projects guide the Core team has the right to push signed tags.
In this case you would checkout the commit you want To tag.
Then you would tag it with "git tag -s x.y.z" I think its -s to sign the tag but its been a While since I did it last then you do "git push --tags gerrit" to push the tag to the repo. Becareful to include at least 3 section in the version for it to be a valid tag for pypi packaging.

Only members of neutron-release are able to push tags for stadium subprojects.

That said I don’t know if you have to tag the repo manually if you are using the openstack/release repo.

Yes, initially the release request is just an indication that the team is ready to release. A neutron-release member will check the proposed commit to be one of merging commits, if such a commit is present, then push the tag as you specified above, then +1 the release request in gerrit to indicate to release folks that neutron side is ready, and they can proceed with landing the patch that will trigger email notifications about the release and other relevant release tasks.

Thanks,
Cathy