Hey folks,

The quickstart guide was modified as a result of a lot of painful debugging
over the last cycle approximately a month ago.  The only solution available to
us was to split the workflow into an operator workflow (working on stable
branches) and a developer workflow (working on master).  We recognize operators
are developers and the docs indicate as much.  Many times operators want to
work with master as they are evaluating Newton and planning to place it into
production.

I’d invite folks using master with the pip install ./ method to have a re-read
of the quickstart documentation. The documentation was changed in subtle ways
(with warning and info boxes) but folks that have been using Kolla prior to the
quckstart change may be using kolla in the same way the quickstart previously
recommended.  Folks tend to get jammed up on this issue – we have helped 70-100
people work past this problem before we finally sorted out a workable solution
(via documentation).

The real issue lies in how PBR operates and pip interacts with Kolla and is
explained in the quickstart.  From consulting with Doug Hellman and others in
the release team, it appears the issue that impacts Kolla is not really
solveable within PBR itself.  (I don’t mean to put words in Doug’s mouth, but
that is how I parsed our four+ hour discussion) on the topic.

The documentation is located here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla