From:  Liping Mao <li...@cisco.com<mailto:li...@cisco.com>>
Date:  2016年9月13日 星期二 下午7:56
To:  OpenStack List
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [Kuryr] IPVLAN data path proposal

Hi Ivan,

It sounds cool!

for security group and allowed address pair,
Maybe we can disable port-security,because all the docker in one vm will share
one security group on the vm port. I'm not sure how to use sg for each
docker,maybe just disable port-security can be one of the choice. then do not
need allowed address pairs in this case.

Regards,
Lipimg Mao

在 2016年9月12日,19:31,Coughlan, Ivan
<ivan.cough...@intel.com<mailto:ivan.cough...@intel.com>> 写道:

Overview
Kuryr proposes to address the issues of double encapsulation and exposure of
containers as neutron entities when containers are running within VMs.
As an alternative to the vlan-aware-vms and use of ovs within the VM, we
propose to:
-
Use allowed-address-pairs configuration for the VM neutron port
-
Use IPVLAN for wiring the Containers within VM
In this way:
-
Achieve efficient data path to container within VM
-
Better leverage OpenStack EPA(Enhanced Platform Awareness) features to
accelerate the data path (more details below)
-
Mitigate the risk of vlan-aware-vms not making neutron in time
-
Provide a solution that works on existing and previous openstack releases
This work should be done in a way permitting the user to optionally select this
feature.
Required ChangesThe four main changes we have identified in the current kuryr
codebase are as follows:
・
Introduce an option of enabling “IPVLAN in VM” use case. This can be achieved
by using a config file option or possibly passing a command line argument. The
IPVLAN master interface must also be identified.
・
If using “IPVLAN in VM” use case, Kuryr should no longer create a new port in
Neutron or the associated VEth pairs. Instead, Kuryr will create a new IPVLAN
slave interface on top of the VM’s master interface and pass this
slave interface to the Container netns.
・
If using “IPVLAN in VM” use case, the VM’s port ID needs to be identified so we
can associate the additional IPVLAN addresses with the port. This can be
achieved by querying Neutron’s show-port function and passing the VMs
IP address.
・
If using “IPVLAN in VM” use case, Kuryr should associate the additional IPVLAN
addresses with the VMs port. This can be achieved using Neutron’s
allowed-address-pairs flag in the
port-update function. We intend to make use of Kuryr’s existing IPAM
functionality to request these IPs from Neutron.
Asks
We wish to discuss the pros and cons.
For example, containers exposure as proper neutron entities and the utility of
neutron’s allowed-address-pairs is not yet well understood.
We also wish to understand if this approach is acceptable for kuryr?
EPA
The Enhanced Platform Awareness initiative is a continuous program to enable
fine-tuning of the platform for virtualized network functions.
This is done by exposing the processor and platform capabilities through the
management and orchestration layers.
When a virtual network function is instantiated by an Enhanced Platform
Awareness enabled orchestrator, the application requirements can be more
efficiently matched with the platform capabilities.
http://itpeernetwork.intel.com/openstack-kilo-release-is-shaping-up-to-be-a-milestone-for-enhanced-platform-awareness/
https://networkbuilders.intel.com/docs/OpenStack_EPA.pdf
https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/12229/181563/epa-features-in-openstack-kilo
Regards,
Ivan….

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
sender and delete all
copies.