On 09/09/2016 10:28 AM, Liz Blanchard wrote:

<mailto:openst...@nemebean.com>

    http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g
<http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g>
    <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g
    <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g>>
    >     >> enerator
    >     >>
    >     >> Most of what you need to know is either there or in the video
itself.
    >     >> Let me know what you think.
    >     >
    >     > Very cool. For those that don't like "hand cutting" their own
network
    >     > configuration templates this is a good CLI based generator.
    >     >
    >     > Like you mention it would be nice to eventually converge this tool
    >     > somehow into both the UI and CLI but given that it works with older
    >     > releases as well it makes sense that it is CLI only for now.
    >
    >     Yeah, my assumption is that at some point the UI will have similar
    >     functionality.  Ideally the UI would replace this entirely, but I
    >     suspect that's a ways off and we'll have to see how it plays out for
    >     people doing CLI installs.
    >

    > Speaking of which...I'd love to work closely with you, Ben, to put
    > together a wireframe design for the TripleO UI to support something like
    > what you've done here. It looks awesome and I'd love to understand the
    > use cases a bit more and how it might work into the current UI flow.
    >
    > I do have a first draft of a design that allows for some network
    > configuration that I'd love to get folks thoughts on:
    > https://invis.io/UM87J4NBQ
    >
    > Of course, as you mention, this would be something that is looking into
    > the future for the UI but it would be awesome to start now with
    > wireframes :)

    Sure, I'm happy to provide whatever input I can.  We'll probably want to
    include Dan Sneddon in those discussions as well.  He had a lot of good
    feedback on the early versions of this tool.

    In general, I'm pretty happy with how the tool's UI works.  The one big
    thing missing is an overview diagram of what's been configured.  The
    multi-pane layout keeps the view simple since you can only drill down
    one path at a time, but it does make it hard to see the big picture
    sometimes.  I think I actually saw a mockup of a network visualization
    you had done a while back that would potentially have filled this gap
    nicely.

    I'm not really a web UI developer (and I'm pointedly not looking at
    http://ucw-bnemec.rhcloud.com/ ;-) so I don't know how everything in my
    tool will map to that, but I could probably write up some user stories
    that I was trying to address.  I can also tell you what I specifically
    did not intend to support, because I lost some time designing for stuff
    that Dan ultimately told me we didn't need to worry about.

    I'm out on PTO next week, so it may be after that before I have a chance
    to follow-up, but I'll add it to the TODO list. :-)

Ben,

I hope you had a good PTO. Sorry it's taken me a little while to follow
up, but I wanted to share some ideas I've put together around
translating the tool you've built into some UI components within the
TripleO UI. If you have some time check out the workflow I've started
around Network Configuration:
https://openstack.invisionapp.com/share/UM87J4NBQ
<https://openstack.invisionapp.com/share/UM87J4NBQ>

Specifically pages 8-11 show how a user could view and edit Network
Isolation configuration options as you've allowed in the tool you wrote.

This is still an early draft so please feel free to make any comments or
suggestions on how to change and improve this for users :)

I've been a little swamped since I got back myself, so I'm just getting back to this.

I left a few comments on the screens, but mostly it looks reasonable to me. I also wrote up something about the standalone tool here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-net-iso-user-stories (it didn't end up being written as user stories, but I didn't think it was worth changing the pad name over :-).

Of course, let me know if/when you have new mockups that you want me to take a look at.

-Ben