Apologies for the trouble this caused. As Dave mentioned, this change warranted a new major version of pecan, and I missed it. I've reverted the offending commit and re-released a new version of pecan (1.2.1) to PyPI:

https://github.com/pecan/pecan/commit/4cfe319738304ca5dcc97694e12b3d2b2e24b1bb
https://github.com/pecan/pecan/commit/b3699aeae1f70b223a84308894523a64ede2b083
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pecan/1.2.1

Once the dust settles in a few days, I'll re-release the new functionality in a major point release of pecan.