On 10/13/2016 4:36 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

What benefit besides marketing does Huawei get from "integrating"
FusionCompute with OpenStack? From looking at the wiki page above,
FusionCompute's product line essentially duplicates a half-dozen or more
OpenStack services, including Nova's scheduler, Nova's compute workers,
Nova's administrative APIs, Neutron, Cinder, Designate, Octavia,
Barbican, and Heat in a monolithic single cloud management application.

What technical benefit do you see from writing a Nova virt driver that
calls the Huawei Compute Management Agent, which then calls the Huawei
Virtual Resource Manager clustered resource management system?

Best,
-jay

That's basically describing the PowerVC driver that is in what used to be called stackforge:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/powervc-driver/tree/nova-powervc/

It's a virt driver that talks to PowerVC's API, which is basically like a vCenter for Power systems. I think the point was you could have a vanilla openstack distribution and drop this driver in to talk to your PowerVC deployment, but why you'd do that rather than just use PowerVC directly I'm not sure, except maybe a 'hybrid' virt driver environment where you have some KVM, some vCenter, some HyperV and some PowerVC. I'm guessing the same argument could be made for the Huawei driver, and we'd likely reject it for the same reasons - it's really a cluster driver that talks to a virt manager and we really don't want any more cluster drivers in tree, especially single-vendor ones to proprietary backends.

Matt Riedemann