Nova has a known gap in integration testing of ephemeral/swap disks, especially around resizes and migrations.

In Newton, Diana Clarke worked on a Tempest patch to verify the size of disks before and after a resize:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/338411/

The QA team took issue with that patch because it creates specific flavors which might not work in all clouds, which is a valid concern.

At the summit some of the Nova people talked about what if we just added ephemeral/swap to the flavors that devstack creates and puts in tempest.conf - then we'd get some implicit coverage of those by default. That doesn't really help non-devstack CI systems, but I'm not entirely sure it matters, at least right now.

If we did have a specific test for this, like Diana's above, then we could just skip the test if the flavors in tempest.conf don't have ephemeral/swap defined. That would allow us to test this in the upstream CI, and external CI could also test it if they wanted to, but it wouldn't break external CI.

Would that be OK? Or are there other issues with that approach?

Alternatively we could work on some in-tree functional tests if those would work, but someone would have to investigate that. Note that the existing functional tests in Nova are not running libvirt, or glance, or any other external service - they only run a wsgi app server and a database (sqlite by default).

There has been talk of creating a nova-dsvm-integration job (there are differing opinions on if that should use devstack or not) which wouldn't run Tempest tests, just in-tree integration tests. So they could test things that aren't going through the REST API, like the image cache. The problem with this extra job is the lack of warm bodies to work on a POC.

So having brought these up - does anyone want to volunteer to explore these options or have issues with either one?

Matt Riedemann