On 2016-11-25 11:37:02 -0500 (-0500), Paul Belanger wrote:
[...]
> We do have an abandoned path in gerrit to support this[3], but
> infra decided to abandon it since it wasn't very safe. So, it is
> possible to render markdown in cgit, we just need to confirm how
> safe it is today.
[...]

It came down less to safety and more to the fact that if you force
cgit to present rendered content then you lose the ability to
reference the source code for the same files.

Ultimately we decided we have a place to display rendered documents
already (docs.openstack.org), and so should leave the source code
browser configured for what it does best: browsing source code.
--
Jeremy Stanley