Hey folks,

I get a lot of requests for variance reduction of transitive dependencies in
Kolla’s containers.  As an example, we build from source nova.  Nova itself we
can specify a version to install in the containers during build time.  Nova’s
python dependencies, not so much.  Is there a best practice for doing such in
the python ecosystem?

Binary distributions don’t typically suffer from this problem.  They deliver
one version of dependencies, and that is what you get.  That is what a slew of
folks are after with from source container builds.  Any advice from the
requirements team or release team welcome as the folks on those teams have the
most experience with this sort of thing.

If this has been asked by someone else in a different context and answered, a
pointer to that discussion would work too ☺

Thanks!
-steve