Hi, I've been trying to get nova-compute (devstack, Newton, all-in-one) to work with the remote debugger in eclipse/pydev. (I've also tried pyCharm with the same results.) Following instructions here: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/development.environment.html

I see the message in the nova code about results being unpredictable when you do this, so I'd like to know if this is expected or if I'm doing something wrong.

I am starting nova-compute in devstack with these switches: --remote_debug-host 192.168.9.94 --remote_debug-port 5678

Nova-compute starts up ok and then as expected hits its embedded settrace() breakpoint:

LOG.warning(_LW('WARNING: Using the remote debug option changes how '
'Nova uses the eventlet library to support async IO. This ' 'could result in failures that do not occur under normal '
                    'operation. Use at your own risk.'))

which so far is all good. I see the breakpoint and I can see all the variables in the debugger.

But when I resume execution, several more log messages are outputted, and then nova-compute hangs. The last line in the log is:

... Connecting to libvirt: qemu:///system from (pid=556) _get_new_connection /opt/stack/nova/nova/virt/libvirt/host.py:367

At this point I can't ^c the process and the only way to get going again is to kill nova-compute from the command line.

I am guessing that this hang is due to some debugger/eventlet conflict as mentioned in that log message. Or am I missing some configuration step? If this isn't going to work, what do other people recommend for debugging nova-compute? Thanks,

Steve