For new cores, and for English Second Language contributors, one idea I¹ve
thought about before is having a section in the contributor guide that has
a short list of questions a contributor can send to the mailing list to
introduce themselves. The questions could be published in a few different
languages. As an example:

New contributors are welcome
============================

If you are new to the OpenStack Docs team, you can contact the mailing
list any time for support. If you want to write a short introduction, you
could write to us about:

#. What interests you most about the docs project?
#. What Do you like about Documentation?
#. Etc.

Best Regards,

Joe Robinson
Information Developer II
 -------------------------------
joseph.robin...@rackspace.com

On 13/02/2017, 10:24 AM, "Openstack-doc-core on behalf of Lana Brindley"
<openstack-doc-core-bounces+joseph.robinson=rackspace.com@lists.launchpad.n
et on behalf of openst...@lanabrindley.com> wrote:

>>> themselves on the list and find out their interest?

>>> I've had quite a lot of 1x1 contact with Chason over the past year or
>>>so. I believe the main reason that Chason and Caoyuan
>>> haven't introduced themselves is because they're uncomfortable with
>>>their level of English. I'll email them now, though.
>>>
>>> Lana
>>
>> hmmm. It is a difficult matter (same as me).
>> I guess they need the word "Don't be shy. Look Kato!"
>>

>That's very sweet, Kato-san, thank you!
>
>I have emailed them both, cc Alex, and offered to help them if they're
>unsure. I really think this is just a confidence issue, which is very
>understandable with English as a second language. They are both much more
>willing to email directly rather than on the mailing list, I think the ML
>can be a little scary when you're not sure if you're making your point
>well!

>--
>Lana Brindley
>Technical Writer
>Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
>http://lanabrindley.com

________________________________
Rackspace Hosting Australia PTY LTD a company registered in the state of
Victoria, Australia (company registered number ACN 153 275 524) whose
registered office is at Level 1, 37 Pitt Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia.
Rackspace Hosting Australia PTY LTD privacy policy can be viewed at
www.rackspace.com.au/company/legal-privacy-statement.php - This e-mail message
may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient.
Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is
prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us
immediately by e-mail at ab...@rackspace.com and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.