* Puppet doesn't create the //var/log/nodepool///images /log directory

Note that since [1] the builder log output changed; previously it went
through python logging into the directory you mention, now it is
written into log files directly in /var/log/nodepool/builds (by
default)

   * The command /service //nodepool-builder//start /seems to//start a
     nodepool process that immediately aborts/

You may be seeing the result of a bad logging configuration file.  In
this case, the daemonise happens correctly (so systemd thinks it
worked) but it crashes soon after, but before any useful logging is
captured. I have a change out for that in [2] (reviews appreciated :)
Let me see how far I can get on my own. Thanks much for the offer to
tutor me on the IRC; I will watch out for you in my morning. Our
time difference is between 13 hours (EDT) and 16 hours (PDT) if you
are located in the continental US, i.e. 7pm EDT is 8am next day here
in Japan.

FWIW there are a couple of us in APAC who are happy to help too.  IRC
will always be the most immediate way however :)

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/542386/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547889/