On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-04-19 19:15:18 -0400 (-0400), Paul Belanger wrote:
> [...]
> > today ubuntu-bionic does seem to pass properly with
> > bindep-fallback.txt, but perhaps we prime it with a bad package on
> > purpose to force the issue. As clarkb points out, the downside to
> > this it does make it harder for projects to be flipped to
> > ubuntu-bionic.
> [...]
>
> My main concern is that this seems sort of at odds with how we
> discussed simply forcing all PTI jobs from ubuntu-xenial to
> ubuntu-bionic on master branches rather than giving projects the
> option to transition on their own timelines (which worked out pretty
> terribly when we tried being flexible with them on the ubuntu-trusty
> to ubuntu-xenial transition a couple years ago). Adding a forced
> mass migration to in-repo bindep.txt files at the same moment we
> also force all the PTI jobs to a new platform will probably result
> in torches and pitchforks.

Yup, this was my concern as well. I think the value of not being on older
platforms outweighs needing to manage a list of packages for longer. We likely
just need to keep pushing on projects to add/update bindep.txt in repo instead.
We can run a logstash query against job-output.txt looking for output of using
the fallback file and nicely remind projects if they show up on that list.

Clark