In theory yes, Ceph is desgined to be fault tolerant,
but from our experience it's not always like that.
I think it's not well documented, but I know this case:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@lists.ceph.com/msg32804.html

> > Growing the Ceph cluster temporary slows it down, so many users will be
> > affected.
> One might say that a Ceph cluster that can't be grown without the users
> noticing is an over-subscribed Ceph cluster. My understanding is that
> one is always advised to provision a certain amount of cluster capacity
> for growing and replicating to replaced drives.

I agree that provisioning a fixed size Cluster would solve some problems but
planning the capacity is not always easy.
Predicting the size and making it cost effective (empty big Ceph cluster costs
a lot on the beginning) is quite difficult.
Also adding a new Ceph cluster will be always more transparent to users than
manipulating existing one especially when growing pool PGs)